Monday, November 24, 2008

The Decor

Justin and I have no Christmas traditions. The first year we were married, I had just had a miscarriage (sorry, can't think of a more delicate way to describe that) and last year I had just had a baby, so we have had pretty low-key Christmases. Or no-key...

Not this year. We both have LISTS of traditions we want to start with our family, so here's tradition #1. Putting up decorations the weekend BEFORE Thanksgiving. We don't want to diminish Thanksgiving at all, because we love it, but we are usually out of town. Thus, the early decorating.


Here are the results:


Our "mantle" (pretend that the TV is on fire and it totally works)


When we realized we had an extra garland, Justin rigged this up. It turned out fantastic, if I do say so myself. And I do.

This is an example of the phrase: "Necessity is the mother of invention." I was seriously pulling things out of cupboards I forgot I had to make this beauty.

Justin's job. Precision at its best.

13 Things to Say:

Holly and Matthew said...

GRRREAT WORK TO YOU BOTH!!!:) I love the decorations and the tradition! :)

Jeff & Jacki Sharp said...

Love it! I CAN'T WAIT for Christmas this year.

Amy Eagleston said...

super cute. great work!

Anonymous said...

Very nice! I laughed right out loud at the TV being on fire. :)

Colle said...

Cute! I like your trees! Are those real presents wrapped under that tree?

haleyhorrocks said...

Good job! I like the colors you painted your house in, even though I know it's not part of your holiday decor. Everything looks very festive. Good luck keeping Andrew out of the tree.

Kaylyn said...

Very cute, I like it a lot! I especially like that you are using the vase I gifted to you. I am just so stylish :)

Unknown said...

Love it! Our Christmases have never existed because we are always out of town. I look forward to being able to do what you have done. I also love the colors you have decorated with in your home.

grandpa rick said...

is one of those presents for me?

Debi said...

I'll pay you to come decorate my house. Please?

Andrea and Chuck said...

I am all about putting the decorations up before Thanksgiving. Helps me be more Thankful.

Jill said...

This looks lovely! and you already have a lot of presents. I'm excited to hear about your other traditions.

Jaclyn said...

I remember that once upon a time you said you weren't crafty or creative - then I saw your lesson plans, your wedding guest book, your apartment, your blog, and now your Christmas decorations - my dear friend - you are creative, very creative. Looks great! Happy Christmas!!