Thursday, January 22, 2009

Seriously?

*DISCLAIMER* I'm not in any way complaining about my medical situation...I'm sincerely confused. Parentheses and astericks added for emphasis


So, I'm at the neurologist (again) yesterday, and Doctor says, (after I've spent $50 on *new* medication that DOESN'T work) "I think we need to try some different avenues. Here's (another) prescription (which is actually a referral) for a physical therapist (not covered by my insurance) and I'll need to take *a little* blood to test for some vitamin deficiencies."

So, basically what you're saying is, YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT'S WRONG.

Fine, I say. Take my blood. Take whatever you want. Money, property, firstborn child. Whatever.

So I go into the lab area, and Little Miss Phlebotomist pulls out SIX vials. And puts MY name on them. Hold it, sister. You SERIOUSLY want me to fill SIX vials with blood? WHAT ARE YOU TESTING FOR? And so, here I am today, blood deficient, with no solution for my migraines. And sincerely confused about modern medical practice.

9 Things to Say:

TPlayer said...

Funny I should read this right now, as I'm suffering the onsetting pains of what will be my first migraine since moving here,so I literally feel your pain!

PS... please don't give Andrew to your Doctor. I kinda like him :)

Jess and Heather said...

That is not fun Megs! My sweet grandma gets really bad migraines too. She has some sort of shot she gives herself before they get too bad. And she really likes her doctor. I could get his name if you want? I agree, don't give Andrew away.

Kaylyn said...

Six vials of blood? Are they selling it?

Holly and Matthew said...

First of all, I am sorry you are experiencing migraines. NO fun! I have had friends with migraines and they tell me about them. Second, so I imagine (hope and pray) they are going to send paperwork to you for each of those vials? I sure hope so. I am such a little fact finder. I totally agree with you. I would absolutely want to know why they are taking six. :) :) Equal exchange right? :) You pay them money... they can at least tell you information in which they know at that time. Obviously they know why they are taking 6 vials right? :) :) Okay, thanks for letting me vent. haha. It's not even my sceanario but I vented. Thanks for letting me. We will keep you in our prayers for sure. I hope you feel better and find out the facts!! :) :)

Love,

Holly :)

Amy Eagleston said...

At times like this I tend to think that modern medicine is a joke. Go with some alternative medicine...maybe acupuncture?

Jill said...

ayayay. i hope you're okay + they can find a fix for you. migraines are not good.

and both of your comments made me smile yesterday, i love home libraries too. light + bright ones especially.

Tyra said...

I am sorry to hear about your migranes. I understand more than you know as I have struggled for years with them. I have been to neurologists who just put me on medication after medication. Nothing ever got rid of them, it was expensive and there were always other side effects from the medications. I have been to an herbologist which didn't help much either. When I was in IL I found a Chiropractor that specialized in headaches and he did wonders for me. I know there are a lot of bad Chiropractors out there, but if you can find a good one that does xrays and shows you your progress it really can improve and get rid of migranes. I rarely get them now and when I do they aren't as bad. I don't take any medications at all now. I am with Amy I have found alternative medicine to be much better for migranes. The nice thing about a Chiropractor is that some insurance covers it unlike acupuncture. It can get expensive, but it is worth the relief without drugs or side effects. If you want to talk more about my experience give me a call.

haleyhorrocks said...

Seriously, Megan, I know I said this last time, but are you on generic BC? Certain ones have been known to cause migraines.

I hope SOMETHING works and soon, because I would hate for your faith in medicine to be shaken. Just don't turn to alternative remedies.

grandpa rick said...

hmmmm......we gotta lick this thing somehow. sorry the new doc isn't working.