So, last Saturday Justin and I went to the state capitol. I thought that was a very touristy thing to do. We learned some cool stuff as we took the "kids I Spy the Capitol" tour. The grown up tour seemed kind of boring. Here are some pictures.
Justin is determined to get a good picture of me sometime. This was apparently not the time.
Now, this is the kind of picture I like. Far away, can't tell that it's me, but cool architecture.
1 Things to Say:
This post made me laugh for two reasons.
One: "I thought that was a very touristy thing to do." This is very true, but because you live in Utah County (a place I consider very disconnected from the rest of the state), you can indulge in activities such as this while not suffering embarrassment because, in a way, you are tourists. I know I felt very touristy (and quite foul) the last time I was in Happy Valley. It was the Utah-BYU football game, the only time I sojourn to that part of the state, and I always feel very out of my element and get the same looks from the locals that I get when I'm gazing at skyscrapers in New York City.
Two: At work on Monday I was listening in on a survey one of the interviewers was monitoring (sometimes I feel like I should work for the NSA, what with all the professional eavesdropping I do) and this elderly gent was completely ignoring the survey questions and instead talking about his recent tour of the state capitol. He too went on Saturday. I wrote down some actual quotes:
"It was a mind-blowing experience. I'm not kidding. I'm still stunned, literally stunned, at what they have done there."
"I know that you're busy conducting surveys, but really, you need to take the time and visit that magnificent building. It's really an amazing experience."
"I haven't been on a date since my wife died of pancreatic cancer. I didn't even date my current wife. She's from New Zealand. She's taking the citizen test on Saturday at 8:30 am and I'm glad, because then she can vote. And it's good because she's right." (This was his response to a question about whether immigration was a serious issue in the state. My inference was that his wife was of the mail-order variety.)
This was the longest comment ever, but I'm enjoying the blog. G'day Megan, Justin and Andrew.
Post a Comment