How do I keep my two-year-old entertained while I'm nursing? I don't know what to do with this child/monster, otherwise known as Andrew. My house is a wreck, and the meltdowns come conveniently when I'm stuck on the couch, basically immobile. Any ideas, folks?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
12 Things to Say:
Hi, this is Abbey Edelman Aldridge one of Justin's friends from high school.
I just had my second and it is a crazy time with a two year old and a new born. It gets better after the first few months of lots of long nursing sessions, but here is what I did-go buy a bunch of random toys from the dollar store and some snacks that he doesn't normally have. Keep them in a little bag or basket that you pull out when you are nursing. That seemed to help her transition. Also, then when they start having a tantrum when you are feeding you can distract them with something right by you.
Also, I often nursed next to my laptop(if you have one) and would go to you tube and type in a kid show. They usually have a 10 minute clip that will get you through a nursing session. (Sesame Street or whatever is his favorite)
So-You Tube and the Dollar Store were my friends!
I spent at least an hour on the couch per nursing session with Coby. Thank goodness Kai loved TV. I'd also read to him and have him practice turning the pages.
i learned the art of nursing, reading to sam, and throwing a ball to maggie all at the same time!
i am also pretty good at ignoring my kids as they scream. eventually he'll get used to the idea that he can't have your full attention at all times. but i did try to still talk to him and give him some attention while i was preoccupied.
i'm lucky since sam is a lot more calm than andrew, and he was four months older, but i still had to work on the patience thing. good luck!
These are all good nice moms, Im more like Sally,the ignoring thing really is my peice of pie. Its so hard when they are so sad...but guess what...when Eddy knew he could get my attention by being sad, he was sad all the freaking time. Hence, pay lots of attention to him when he is being good, and lots of praise, and when he is pouting or throwing a fit, Zone him out...he doesnt exist. WOW, Im mean.
I wasn't saying to reward your kid when he is having a tantrum, but sometimes its nice to have something for him to do, a new activity, or a snack if you are stuck feeding your baby for half an hour.
Sometimes tantrums are because of they are just bored.
It was kind of miserable at first with Hudson around- not necessarily because Ethan melted down much, but because I was nursing and pumping at every feeding and it seemed like ALL day long and Ethan had and always has had manic energy.....it seemed to help both me and Ethan to get some play time with other kiddies during one or two of the feedings a few days during the week...my sisters are close so cousins were good, but other sisters in the ward were super helpful too sometimes I went with him to get some social interaction other than kiddo company, but other times Ethan was able to have an outlet outside of me and I think it was good for him- my guys are a little rough, but Andrew is ALWAYS welcome at our house seriously and as you well know we are no stranger to wild and craziness and besides we are going to have three soon anyway so the more boys the merrier- it does get easier though- I think it took me a month or two to really get the hang of things and feel normal again.
Cuddle and read, if he'll sit still. If not, run around clutching the babe with one arm and meteing out justice with the other. It will get so much better, though! Hang in there.
sorry i have no suggestions but wanted to say thanks for asking the ? and u have good friends w/ good ideas. Good Luck Megan
I'm horrified of this exact situation! I know it's going to be tricky with 2-year old twins while I'm nursing. I am making a nursing box with little trinkets and books, etc...we'll just see, I guess. These are all good ideas.
use your sling, and nurse while moving around. Not too good for the future figure, but heck it's hard to be immobile.
just close your eyes
holy cats...you should do a talk show. i've never seen so many comments on a blog. :)
Post a Comment