Tuesday, February 1, 2011

You want a tutorial? I'll show you tutorial.

Some of y'all may know that in the last year I've tried to improve my sewing. I read lots of books and blogs about easy beginner projects (which by the way are almost exclusively for little girls...I have boys, thus I don't need to learn how to sew?) and have tried (read:failed) some of them. Well, I have a bin of clothing to be "re-purposed" or made into something else. So, I thought, I'll take this sweater and make a little sweater vest for Andrew. And I'll take pictures along the way so I can use the other sweater to make one for Henry. This was such a moronic idea for three reasons.

1) I am terrible at taking good pictures, particularly of small things (children, stitches, chihuahuas, and the like).
2) I kind of stink at sewing, so when I look at the end project, I think, "Yeah, I won't be repeating that project. It's ugly."
3) Sewing with my boys is just completely ridiculous. A "quick, 30-minute project" turns into two weeks, because I have constant interruptions and kids sitting on my stuff.

That said, I facetiously present to you...the sweater vest. (I have no intention of this actually helping someone sew something. Mostly it is just to document the process so I'm reminded to just spend the money and buy the clothes my kids need from the store. It's WAY worth it.)

1. Cut what you need while leaving as much of the sweater in tact as possible, thus cutting out any extraneous sewing.
2. Use the "short and fat" sweater vest as a pattern of approximately how long and not wide it should be. Realize that this vest may be a little too skinny. Continue anyway.
3. Get out Toy Story toys to distract children who are getting all up in my grill.
4. Let Henry hold some straight pins. That shouldn't hurt him.

5. Cut edges off the sleeves to be used for the armholes. And try to use finished edges, because otherwise one armhole will be fraying...Shoot. I didn't even follow my own instructions.
6. Eat some of these when you realize you are 28 and still can't cut in a straight line.
7. Make a V-neck out of a circle neck. Oh, and make sure it is centered or else...well, or else it will look like mine.
8. Realize that one armhole is not only smaller but also totally crooked. Continue anyway.9. Tell Andrew to be cool. He is.
10. Realize that Andrew's clothes are NOT the first thing people notice about him. And relax, because he'll grow out of this in two shakes of a lamb's tail anyway.

14 Things to Say:

Amy Eagleston said...

I love this post!

Cassie said...

The sweater looks super cute on! You can't see the imperfections. Loved the raisinets, now you need to get the portable DVD player like me and watch Jane Austen movies while you sew. :)

La said...

Two shakes of a lambs tail? You are turning into a Texan. And besides Andrew is perfectly cute so I think it's only fair that he has to wear imperfect clothes. It helps even the playing field for the other kids.

Sarah B said...

Glad you're trying Megs! I'm pretty impressed. It looks great!

Kaylyn said...

Wow, I am crying. How is it that our grandma is a professional seamstress and we both such at sewing? Geez, we should both eat some more raisinets.

Sofia L said...

It looks great! You did an amazing job. I probably would have made a pillow and called it quits. I don't like sewing clothes.

Trent and Meg said...

Ok...so I am 30 and still can't cut in a straight line...so you are doing good ;) (but I second eating the raisnets :D) It really does look super cute on him...especially when he is sporting the "cool" face (because he is cool). I should practice more sewing now...just so I'm ready to distract the kids when they come :D

Laurel said...

This is so funny. I agree you didn't get the Grandma Knutti sewing genes.... Not a bit :):) But at least you try and that's a really good quality :) :)

Sally said...

megan, you are making my baby mad at me since i am laughing so hard at this post! you crack me up. i think you should be a professional tutorialist.

Jeff & Jacki Sharp said...

I think it's CUTE. And you might just be the funniest person I've ever known. When can we come visit you in Texas?

Nola said...

The sweater is awesome, as are the boys and as are you and Justin. Way to go for taking on the challenge and accomplishing a great thing. I love the documentation. I did the same thing when we lived in Boise but I only took a picture of the end result and the pants and vest were not perfect but covered Troy's body sufficiently. We love you!

Michelle Walkenhorst said...

I just saw this tutorial and thought of you and your re-purposing.

http://www.makeit-loveit.com/2011/02/re-purposing-baseball-style-tee-from.html

BTW: Awesome tute! Chocolate raisins and almonds are my favorite snack while sewing. I love chocolate raisins from Sunflower market, so creamy.

Jill said...

I'm busting up at #4. I always decide 'what is worth it?' when I'm trying to get something done. Is it worth cleaning up all of the ziplocs that Jane pulls out of the box? Yes. is it worth scrubbing eyeliner off of her nose? Sure. Then I catch her mid-barrel roll off of the counter and finally think: nope.

The sweater actually looks really good on him! I'm impressed you went for a project that hard. I'm still a beginner (my machine has not been touched) and I want to start small.

p.s. dark choc. raisinets are the best.

Jen Suman said...

Um, how is it that I just discovered your personal blog?

At least you try to sew. I have a brand-spanking-new sewing machine sitting in my closet because I'm too chicken to figure out how to use it.

Jarond's cousin has a little blog you might be interested in (maybe you already follow it), www.dana-made-it.com. They just started a whole month of boy projects so I thought you might enjoy it.

P.S. Have you ever put Raisinets in popcorn? YUM.